Thumb suckers no longer.
Let's just say that I get it. I understand thumb sucking, I sucked mine until I was 10-you're welcome Dr. Orthodontist (can't remember his name for the life of me). I know it sounds strange, but I can almost feel the comfort it gives. So I guess I just never felt the need to push the stopping of the thumb sucking with Grace. But, I know she is getting to the age where other kids will notice and probably make fun. So, when I told Grace that her cousin Colby, 2 years her junior, had stopped sucking his thumb, she decided that it was time. We ordered the yucky stuff to paint on her thumb, same stuff Colby used, of course. She was very diligent to keep it painted on.
She hated the taste.
And so did everyone else who tried to eat chips from the same bag as her, if you know what I mean. A few days later, viola! No more thumb sucking! 6+ years of bad habit, broken. We haven't seen so much as a little suck for about a week! We're so proud of you, Grace!
(and a little sad...she is officially all grown up now :( )

5 comments:
Very good, mom. That is a hard one. I am trying to wean Asher from his bottle and that is so hard. Sippy cups drip. They are not nearly so easy 5-8 times a night... IT is just Valerie would cry for her bottle till she was. Um. WAYYYY older than she should have been (and she has the teeth to prove it).
Good for you. Tell her I am very, very proud of her!
I so remember you sucking your thumb. I think that it is the hardest thing when you understand the habit or thought process behind your child's action because it makes sense to you why they are doing it. Way to go helping her kick the habit.
Wooohooo Grace!!! It's nice to know Colby can be a good example! Lets just say that isn't always the case with his sisters and fellow Sunbeams and preschool class. It's so exciting when kids figure out how to be strong enough to stop something.
We're proud of you too Grace! I told Colby you stopped and he was so happy!
families are the greatest thing ever!!!! i am so proud of you grace. you are such a wonderful girl. that is a very hard thing to do, and you did it!!! now you can always remember that you can do hard things. i love you. grandma.
Grace, you are becoming a complete young woman, and I am so proud to be your grandpa.
Post a Comment